Fwd: busybox current status

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Nov 30 19:04:33 UTC 2006

On Thursday 30 November 2006 7:14 am, walter harms wrote:

> LIBBUSYBOX is more or less a clever wrapper around the the libc. so far i
understand
> was the approach doomed because the interface was to volatile to be useful
in other
> project.

The point of libbusybox was never to offer a stable library other projects
could use.  The point was to do "make standalone" (what I eventually
implemented a bit of as scripts/individual) with less code duplication.

The API is _not_ stable (and committing to one would just bloat busybox), the
license is gpl (not lgpl), it's not documented, and it's a complete
misinterpretation to think that's what it was ever for in the first place.

> In other words to make it useful we need a API freeze and a wrapper to
> the then current libbb.

Bad idea, sheer bloat, etc.

> This can be done but would require a maintainer for that API
> stuff because the main target for busybox is not exactly to keep a stable
> API.

It would be _bad_ for busybox to try to maintain a stable API because if we
think of a better way, we do that, and cleanup all the fallout from the
change.  And proposing that we _stop_ doing that misses the point of the
entire project.

"Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery