busybox current status

Denis Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 29 23:14:47 UTC 2006

Done:

telnetd: fixed/improved IPv6 support, inetd+standalone
support, other fixes. Useful IPv6 stuff factored out into libbb.

tar: fix limitations which were preventing bbox tar usage
on a big directories: long names and linknames, pax headers
(Linux kernel tarballs hve that). Fixed a number of obscure bugs.
Raised max file limit (now 64Gb). Security fixes (/../ attacks).

httpd: added support for directory indexer CGI. Example is included.
two small bugs related to string decode fixed.

str->num conversion: regularized. bb_strtoul
is "like strtoul done right". Did you know that
"-" is a valid _unsigned_ number for libc's strtoul?!

od: removed some bloat without loss of functionality
(we are even x3 faster than coreutils in ascii dump modes)

mkfs.minix: size reduction and cleanup.

minor bugfixes to: udhcp, fdisk, mount, ifconfig, sort, tee,
mkswap, wget, insmod.

bug database: closed fixed and hopeless records. Applied
patches from some reports which have those.
Thanks for the reporters! You are really helping us people.

To do:

* 1.2.3 release?
* more fishing in bug database
* remove (most of) e2fsck, sanitize the rest
* Networking: more of ipv6-ization
* Shell: we still BADLY need a decent, bash-like shell
  NOFORK feature is dependent on this
* NOMMU: need audit of unnecessary fork() calls
* Desktop compatibility (what is missing):
  I fixed the most critical stuff by now, i think.
  I guess more bugs/incompats will be found
  by other people trying to use bbox on desktops
* New applets: hose/faucet? ssh[d]? :)
--
vda