where to get the lease file

David Seikel won_fang at yahoo.com.au
Sat Nov 25 00:09:36 UTC 2006

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 14:41:29 -0500 Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> (Note, a few years ago there are some DSL companies and such that
> intentially force you to a new IP address with every renewal, and set
> renewals at about 2 hours.  This was to prevent anybody from running
> servers, in a slightly less obvious way than blocking all incoming
> connections below port 1024 or putting you behind a masquerading
> router.  I believe they're all out of business now, because there's
> nothing more annoying than having your connection drop 2 hours into a
> World of Warcraft dungeon raid...)

Here in Australia, where the interwebs suck, we still have ISPs that
are happy to change your IP on you in the middle of a session.  Big
nasty ISP that until recently was a government owned monopoly.  It's
still largely government owned, still a monopoly for some things, and
still in business.  A lot of ISPs are just resellers of this big nasty
one.  A lot of the rest get away with murder because it's good enough
for the big nasty one.