commandlet framework

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue May 30 19:47:34 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 30 May 2006 7:11 am, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> while working on my mii-tool single distribution
> (http://www.metux.de/articles/oss/mii-tool-1_9_1_1),
> I've been thinking about an little framework for commands,
> which makes it easier using the same codebase for both standalone
> binaries and builtin commands.
>
> Has there already some work been done ?

Yeah, we've done it as a prototype but need to massage the makefile and
dependency generation to do it at all elegantly.

> How do you handle this in busybox ?

Keep in mind dropbear does this too.  Of course that has 3 commands and we
have 250 in the current defconfig, so our dependency generation is a couple
orders of magnitude more complex. :)

We have a reasonable idea what needs to be done, we just haven't tackled it
yet.