svn 15051 broke e2fsprogs build for me.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu May 11 15:31:10 UTC 2006

On Thursday 11 May 2006 12:37 am, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 May 2006 13:30, Rob Landley wrote:
> > Dunno why.  Reverting it fixes the build.
>
> *cough* clicky link *cough* :P
>
> http://www.uclibc.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi?rev=15051&view=rev

I'd already read what the checkin said.  That's why I asked about it on irc.
What I dunno is why replacing the default rule changes the behavior of the
e2fsprogs build.

> > Try "make distclean && make defconfig && make" to see the problem...
>
> i'll see what's going on
>
> > [13:17] <landley> How does the .o rule help debug?
> > [13:17] <landley> (We're overriding the default .o rule with ours, I'm
> > just not sure how the debug works in...)
>
> go into a subdir and run `make foo.o` and watch it fail without the rule i
> added

Huh.  So how does the build know to call our different compile invocation to
build the other .o files?  Couldn't most of them use the (new) default rule?