minimal requirements for build C compiler?

Bernhard Fischer rep.nop at aon.at
Fri May 26 02:40:03 PDT 2006

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 12:43:25AM -0700, Andre wrote:
>Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo.org> wrote:
>> On Thursday 25 May 2006 23:05, Jason Schoon wrote:
>> >
>> > Since this is not threaded with the previous conversation,
>> > how is ARM built with gcc-3.4.4 broken?
>> > I currently use gcc-3.4.4 and may be targeting an ARM platform
>> > soon, so if there are issues, I would like to get them
>> > resolved.  Is this actually dropped support, or just a bug that
>> > exists?
>>
>> ya got me ... ive been using 3.4.6 myself on arm and havent hit
>> any problems
>> -mike
>>

>http://busybox.net/lists/busybox/2006-April/020526.html

This is a bug (missed optimisation) in the compiler (perhaps in dce
or cse ?).
The report (http://busybox.net/lists/busybox/2006-April/020356.html)
talks about 3.4.4, and given that the current release off the 3.4 branch
is 3.4.5/6, there is no real reason to work around deficiencies in an
older release. If constant propagation/dce works as expected in 3.4.6,
then please do use that version and not an older one with a known problem.