svn commit: trunk/busybox

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu May 11 14:54:25 PDT 2006

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 04:34:44PM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Thursday 11 May 2006 4:33 pm, Rich Felker wrote:
> > > Files are are allowed to have any character except NUL and the directory
> > > separator in them. Paths can have any character but NUL.  Therefore, the
> > > logical character to use as a separator when you want reliable behavior,
> > > no
> >
> > However the relevant tools for dealing with filenames from scripts
> > process _text files_ which cannot contain NUL. Adding GNU extensions
> > that require tools to somehow deal with NUL (which greatly complicates
> > the implementation of these tools and adds to bloat) is hardly
> > worthwhile, considering that someone who makes a filename containing
> > \n is just an idiot.
>
> You know, I think part of the reason I'm ignoring what you have to say is
> attitude.  Not "X makes it harder to build on macintosh", but "X is stupid
> because I don't like it".  Random example:

Point taken. For what it's worth most of the things I've complained
about have actually caused something to break for me in the past.
Others are just cases where something _could_ mysteriously break and
it would be better (IMO) to handle it in a foolproof way. But this is
not my project to butt in on, so sorry about that.

Rich