any value to supporting swap version 0 and *really* old kernels?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 29 22:55:29 UTC 2006

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Bernhard Fischer wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 04:23:07PM -0600, Jason Schoon wrote:
> >On 3/29/06, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >>   to keep things simple, one would think it would be enough to
> >> distinguish between 2.0 and 2.2 kernels and leave it at that, without
> >> getting into the 2.1.x stream.  or just plain drop support for
> >> pre-2.2 kernels.
>
> Either support for v0 is dropped entirely, or you (resp. /me) has to
> stay exact. V0 is optional now, if anyone selects it while not
> desparately needing it, they are get what they deserve.

i'd take mild exception to that position.  if something is a
selectable option in busybox, then it's reasonable for users to think
it's a well-supported feature.  to suggest that, if they pick V0,
they'll "get what they deserve" is not terribly compassionate and
probably wouldn't go down well with users.

if a feature in BB is not actively supported or might cause all kinds
of grief, then it really should be removed and not left as a land
mine waiting for someone to trip over.  frankly, i see no real value
to V0 swap support.

> Support for 2.2 still is opportune, so i reject to plain drop it
> right now.

the 2.2 kernel uses swap V1 so dropping V0 wouldn't affect this.

rday