udhcp and busybox

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Mar 27 19:35:29 UTC 2006

On Sunday 26 March 2006 11:58 pm, Devin Bayer wrote:
> On Mar 26, 2006, at 13:22, Rob Landley wrote:
> > On Sunday 26 March 2006 3:22 pm, Devin Bayer wrote:
> >> If you do what you suggest and set a gateway when another is already
> >> set, you'll bork the whole system.
> >
> > I do it all the time, actually, and the tools I'm using delete the old
> > gateway.  I can ifconfig the interface down first to be sure, though.
> >
> > If somebody runs a dhcp client on eth0 and another one on eth1,
> > they'll
> > probably need a script.  That's not my problem.
>
> Well that's tough to overcome. What if I make it a config option?
> Essentially to support multiple network interfaces one needs to do:

Running a script as a config option, sure.  Supporting multiple simultaneous
_upstream_ networking interfaces internally?  Seems overcomplicated for the
common use case, and the script is an easy way to punt.

Even the common case of a router wouldn't need this, because you only run the
dhcp _client_ on one interface.

Now admittedly my laptop does, because I sometimes use eth0 and I sometimes
use eth1, and I suspend rather than shutting down between them.  But a script
could handle that easily.  (I could also be using multipath, or some trange
tunneled vpn, which would be silly to try to do internally but which a script
could also handle.)