periodic reappearance of login prompt

David Clark dlclark at chtech.com
Mon Mar 27 18:14:10 UTC 2006

The basics of my setup are as follows:
- MPC8245 PowerPC on a custom board
- Linux Kernel 2.6.14
- BusyBox 1.00
- uClibc

I'm having a weird problem in which the login prompt reappears
automatically and periodically.  There are two scenarios that are very
repeatable and consistent.

1.  If I do not login, the login prompt reappears after 80 seconds.
2.  If I do login in, the login prompt reappears after 40 second.

This repeats forever.  I have heard of issues involving segmentation
faults in which busybox silently fails and all the user sees is a new
login prompt.  This could be a similar issue and obviously it is
happening in a function that is running on a timer.

Does anybody have any thought or suggestions?
What busybox functions, if any, run off a timer?

David Clark
Senior Software Engineer
C&H Technologies, Inc
Web: http:\\www.chtech.com