My make-fu is failing me here.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Mar 9 21:17:26 UTC 2006

Um, help please.

I fixed it so that if somebody calls:
  make distclean
  make

Then defconfig is called before calling menuconfig.  That's working.

But if somebody calls:
  make distclean
  make menuconfig

Then they don't get either defconfig or allnoconfig, they instead get the
defaults out of Kconfig, which don't make a lot of sense as a starting point.

I'd like to make it so that "make menuconfig" with no .config file does the
same as "make" with no config file, but I'm not sure how.  My instinct at
this point is to splice some shell script at the start of the menuconfig
invocation to test if there's already a .config file, and that can't be
right.

Anybody who understands make wanna take a shot at fixing this gracefully?