Resolving the licensing issues.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Mar 1 17:26:19 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 01 March 2006 12:17 pm, Vladimir N. Oleynik wrote:
> Rob,
>
> > Are your patches submitted under the GPL?
>
> A patches with license? Smiles ;-)

Considering one of your recent patches updates a copyright notice on code, I'd
say that's about as relevant as it gets.

If the code is copyrighted, then you have to issue a license to that code or
the project can't use it.  The _only_ license we can use is GPL.  Submitting
code to a GPL project strongly implies you're allowing the code to be used in
the project, which can only be under the terms of the GPL.

However, this message:
http://www.busybox.net/lists/busybox/2006-February/018706.html

Said that you did not license your code under the GPL.  For the previous
patches we can go with the implied license, but I can't take new ones
following that statement until the matter is cleared up.

> > I can't take new patches from you until this is resolved.
>
> Clumsy attempt of a raising of a theme of the license from me
> was last drop to affect your policy of maintaining,
> who becomes more and more disgusting.

I'm sorry you feel that way.  You're the one who said your code wasn't GPL.
Busybox _cannot_ take non-GPL patches.

Ask Erik if you don't believe me.