Headers including headers and precompilation

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Mar 31 12:58:27 PST 2006

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 03:38:48PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Friday 31 March 2006 1:13 pm, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > > The dependency is simple: SUSv3 and maybe Linux headers.
> >
> > please stop promoting this approach.  it's just plain evil.  if it was
> > such a good idea, then the C library would come with a single header
> > file -- clibrary.h or something.  it doesn't.  that should tell you
> > everything you need to know.
>
> Yeah, that it was designed on a 16-bit machine in 1971.  Back then the entire
> system had 64k of ram, only the first 6 characters of each identifier were
> significant...
>
> You are aware of the new build-at-once mode, right?

I find it utterly hypocritical that someone working on a project that
replaces huge bloated crap with small efficient implementations is
advocating that we should all need huge systems with lots of resources
to be able to compile anything... Just because busybox doesn't include
a C compiler (yet ;) doesn't mean it's justified to require massive
gcc bloatware.

Rich