any value to supporting swap version 0 and *really* old kernels?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Mar 29 17:56:56 PST 2006

On Wednesday 29 March 2006 5:16 pm, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   i just noticed the option (under minix filesystems) for selecting
> swap V0 support, despite the fact that this version of swap hasn't
> been supported for years.  but there's more to it than that.
>
>   i notice that util-linux/mkswap.c appreciates that swap V1 was
> introduced in kernel 2.1.117 but this raises a couple of questions.
> first, are there really people still using such an old kernel that
> they would need swap V0 support?

Current busybox versions are aimed at 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.  We don't
intentionally break 2.2 kernels, but we don't have specific support for them
either.

The general theory is that installing a 2006 userspace on a 1998 kernel is a
bit silly.  If you're going to use a six year old kernel, there are six year
old versions of userspace to go with it.