SVID functions used in bb

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Mar 29 15:57:52 PST 2006

On Friday 24 March 2006 4:23 am, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Sorry for cross-posting, both lists are affected.
>
> I am intending to add an uClibc config option that disables the SVID
> (System V R4) only functions in uClibc (the common BSD/SVID ones remain
> untouched for now). These are fgetpwent[_r]/fgetgrent[_r]/putpwent/stime.

> 3. stime is used by date/rdate

stime() is a syscall, and it uses a time_t structure.

The alternative is settimeofday(), which takes two arguments.  The second the
man page describes as obsolete and goes on to bitch about at length.  The
first is a struct containing a time_t and a microseconds field, which I don't
think our date supports anyway.

As far as I can tell, switching from stime() to settimeofday() would bloat
busybox for no readily apparent reason.  Is there some other syscall we
should be using that I didn't notice?  Is supporting a non-deprecated linux
syscall a big imposition?