busybox_1_1_stable branch [was: Re: is NFS mounting borked in bb-1.1.1?]

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Mon Mar 27 22:52:27 PST 2006

On Monday 27 March 2006 15:20, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Monday 27 March 2006 3:18 am, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> > This is IMO supposed to be done via a stable branch of busybox, which we
> > currently still don't have:
>
> That didn't work very well with 1.01.  I made it outside of that tree, and
> the continuing divergence of that tree from the -devel branch is probably
> the main reason there wasn't a 1.02.  There's still one orphaned fix in
> 1.01 I know of (fixing tar to always shell out to gzip/bzip rather than try
> to use the built-in versions).

i dont understand why it didnt work very well ... you cut a branch from trunk
and that is now stable ... fix things in trunk and backport them to branches,
not the other way around

> I'll probably put up a patch with known fixes in the download directory
> this evening.  The date stamp on that says when it's last updated, and I'll
> start the file with a list of URLs to the downloads/patches/svn-* entry for
> each fix.

which is horrible for anyone using a mirror distribution system ... updating
files (and thus the hashes) without changing the filename causes havok for
these people

> Keep in mind that I'm trying to get 1.1.2 out in June.  Do you want to
> branch the tree _again_ in June?

as Bernhard pointed out, you do branches for X.X, not for X.X.X

that's where tags come in ... you create branches/busybox_1_1_stable and then
create tags/busybox-1.1.0 and tags/busybox-1.1.1 and tags/busybox-1.1.2 and
so on and so forth
-mike