Question about mount

Alexander Griesser alexander.griesser at lkh-vil.or.at
Mon Mar 27 02:50:26 PST 2006

Jean Wolter wrote:
>> In previous busybox releases I could do the following:
>>
>> mount -n -o remount,rw /
>
> The following works here with 1.1.1
>
>     busybox mount -o remount,rw /dev/root /

Ah, ok, that works here for me too, thank you.

Today I spent quite some time reading the mount sourcecode and
I think I found code that should do the following:

If mount gets only one parameter, it is the directory where the
filesystem has to be mounted -> the mountpoint.
If so, check /etc/fstab to get all other credentials for this
mountpoint and finally do the mount.

If the mountpoint can't be found in /etc/fstab, try to mount
the last entry in /etc/fstab and that is exact that, what happens.

The following behaviour is really strange, at least some parts
of the output are definetly wrong:

My fstab:

[lxtc3861 - ~ #] cat /etc/fstab
#
<pass>
/dev/hda3       /               ext3    defaults                0       0
proc            /proc           proc    defaults                0       0
tmpfs           /var/tmp        tmpfs   defaults,size=100M      0       0
none            /proc/bus/usb   usbfs   defaults                0       0
/dev/hda1       /system         ext3    defaults                0       0

Currently mounted filesystems:

[lxtc3861 - ~ #] mount
/dev/root on / type ext3 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nodiratime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
tmpfs on /var/tmp type tmpfs (rw)

I can mount and unmount /system (/dev/hda1) with the following
commands:

[lxtc3861 - ~ #] mount /system
[lxtc3861 - ~ #] umount /system

But if I try to mount / I get the following error:

[lxtc3861 - ~ #] mount /
mount: Mounting /dev/hda1 on /system failed: No such device
[lxtc3861 - ~ #]

According to the output, mount tries to mount /dev/hda1 on /system and
that should work, according to my previous try.

'umount /' "works" as it does mount the root-filesystem readonly.

As /dev/root does not exist on the filesystem I assume its value is
derived from the root= kernel boot parameter, right?
That would definetly solve my problem then...

But the above behaviour seems strange to me.

ciao,
- --
Alexander Griesser (Netzwerkadministration)
E-Mail: alexander.griesser at lkh-vil.or.at | Web: http://www.lkh-vil.or.at
KABEG LKH Villach | Nikolaigasse 43 | 9500 Villach
Tel.:   +43 4242 208 3061 | Fax.:   +43 4242 971 3061