[Patch] Add command ":wn" to vi-applet

Paul Fox pgf at brightstareng.com
Fri Mar 24 07:42:55 PST 2006

 > || :[count]wn[ext] [++opt] [+cmd]
 > ||            Write current file and start editing the [count]
 > ||            next file.  Also see |++opt| and |+cmd|.  {not in Vi}
 >
 > I often modify several files at once and after modifying I would
 > have to do
 >
 > :w <RETURN>
 > :n <RETURN>
 >
 > to get to the next file, so :wn is a shortcut for this, as all :w...
 > commands are, like :wq, :wq!, ...

sure.  there are countless little shortcuts we could add.  ":wq"
has been part of vi for over 25 years.  ":wn" is much more
recent.  that being said, i don't really care about that one -- i
don't use it, i don't do that much editing in busybox vi because
its so crippled, but that feature also won't cost that much space.

 > I agree with this.
 > But I'll have a look about how to get a little bit more comfortable
 > version done, which lets you do some vim-thingys I really like and
 > make them optional.
 >
 > > it's so imperfect, why try to embellish it?
 >
 > Hm?

what i wrote didn't come out very well.  what i meant was, the vi
in busybox is so broken (no undo, no named marks, no regexps,
etc, etc), why bother adding little tiny things like ":wn".  the
big omissions are far more annoying than the little ones.

paul
 paul fox, pgf at brightstareng.com