private namespace for logins

Michael S. Zick mszick at morethan.org
Thu Mar 23 09:11:11 PST 2006

On Thu March 23 2006 10:51, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Thursday 23 March 2006 10:05 am, Rogelio Serrano wrote:
> > Is it possible to use busybox mount to put login sessions in their own
> > namespaces? Is a bind mount of bin, dev, etc, include, etc in /home
> > enough?
>
> Not knowing what you need to do in order to request a new namespace, or what
> kernel versions support this, I have no idea.  Probably not.
>
> > Anybody tried it yet?
>
> Nope.  I was under the vague impression it hadn't been merged yet.  I take it
> 2.6.16 has this?

I follow that list.
Last I saw it (linux-vserver) is only partially merged with mainstream.

Still is a patch (soon to be updated) against a virgin kernel.

Some Linux distributions are shipping the patched kernel (Debian, Gentoo
probably others).

The version I am running:
Linux wolf466 2.6.14vs2 #3 PREEMPT Sat Dec 17 00:26:08 CST 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
(Home grown)

I am keeping my eye on this, since I would like to add the v* tools to BB;
but am waiting for a full mainstream merge to happen.

Mike