Resolving the licensing issues.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Mar 6 14:18:33 PST 2006

On Monday 06 March 2006 11:42 am, Roberto A. Foglietta wrote:
> Yann E. MORIN wrote:
>
>   [cut]
>
> > For all these reasons, being a maintainer is a hard work, and I'm glad
> > someone like Rob Landley is maintaining busybox. I would not like for
> > anything in the world to be in his place.
> >
> > To me, Rob does a good job at maintaining busybox.
>
>   I speak just because I think I am one of the last arrived here that
> submit patches: at first Rob seems very very hard in judging the paches,
> and sometimes made me think:"come on baby apply it and go over" but
> after I spent some time here I see that he is very patience and he is
> right a lot of time. I think he does that because he is looking for the
> best.

I am looking for the best, but I am also, often, inexcusably slow.  I'm trying
to be less of a bottleneck.  A year ago I didn't apply anybody's patches but
my own, and I'm still trying to balance the standard I apply to my _own_ code
with the standards I should apply to other people's.

Feel free to poke me when I forget stuff for too long.  Ignoring a patch is
not a rejection.  I'll _tell_ you if I don't like something. :)

I've learned that "there's a better way to do that" is not always an excuse
not to apply the patch now.  But cleaning up existing stuff in the tree is a
big part of busybox development, preferably the largest part.  We've
accumulated way too much crap in the tree over the years, and the real glory
around here isn't adding more apps, it's making the existing ones better.
(And if anybody wanted to document libbb...  Even I don't now all of what's
in there.  Erik might...)

I'm doing an http://www.busybox.net/programming.html page.  Slowly...

>   Another very very important instrument to develop and save time is the
> testsuite. I tend to forget it... but after 8-9 patches on the same
> thing I started to understand that testsuite is THE gate for the "at
> least working patch" world.

Oh yeah.  I have many big "ok, attack _THIS_ now" projects queued up, but the
top three (in no particular order) are make standalone, bbsh, and the
testsuite (converting it to the new format, and filling it out).  And the
test suite _anybody_ can do.

>   I think all the mainteiners should have to provide these tools and
> improve them. I did not said this not happened but I know playing with
> code is much more interesting for everybody...
>   ;-)

I'm weird.  I play with test suites too. :)