My brain hurts. (Messing with mount.)

Michael S. Zick mszick at morethan.org
Mon Mar 6 05:35:43 PST 2006

On Sun March 5 2006 19:07, Rob Landley wrote:
> There is no mount spec.  Only endless questions.
>

> When you supply two arguments, mount doesn't check fstab at all.  With the
> above fstab entry:
>   mount walrus.img walrus
>
>   The mount is rw, not ro, and I have to say -t ext2 -o loop with the gnu
>   mount.

That sounds like the known behavior of the kernel - to silently ignore ro

Prior to recent patches, the attributes noexec, noatime, ro where handled
"per filesystem" only - not "per inode", any attribute change that resolved
to an inode would be silently ignored.

> Dinner time.

Don't spend too long eating - the kernel has patches going in to make it
change its mount behavior.

You can get the new functionality with the "BME" patches at linux-vserver.org
Let me know off-list if you want me to dig out the exact link for you.

Mike