The FSF's being stupid again, it seems...

David Seikel won_fang at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jun 29 00:05:00 UTC 2006

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 00:09:02 +0200 Natanael Copa
<natanael.copa at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 17:40 -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
>
> > Now if Morris was still on Erik's DSL line, rather than hosted by
> > OSL, conserving bandwidth for the project would be important.  But
> > these days there's things like sourceforge that are quite happy to
> > mirror open source projects, so getting extra mirrors of vanilla
> > release tarballs generally isn't a major limiting factor.
>
> But it would be stupid if they hosted 3 different linux distros and
> had to host 3 different copies of the same vanilla sources (+
> patches) on their servers.

When I registered my distro with sourceforge, they would not approve of
my project unless all I was hosting with them was my patches and build
scripts, they specifically rejected hosting the resulting iso and the
upstream sources.  Sourceforge does not want to host multiple copies of
the source code that is already available from elsewhere.  They also
don't want to host multiple copies of source code that is available from
themselves.  Sourceforge make a best effort attempt to keep cvs history
for all its projects, and that's good enough for me, even if the user
that wants source for an old version needs to figure out the precise
date I grabbed the sources from an upstream source and a cryptic cvs
command to match.

--
Stuff I have no control over could be added after this line.