Disabling inlining entirely saves 400+ bytes...

Aurelien Jacobs aurel at gnuage.org
Tue Jun 20 15:52:24 PDT 2006

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 18:41:26 -0400
Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 20 June 2006 6:01 pm, Aurelien Jacobs wrote:
>
> > BTW: a quick grep shows that inline is used in a lot of places. Lots of
> > them are for purpose and are actually reducing size !
>
> And a quick google shows I'm right.  Those two statements have about the same
> amount of specificity to them... :)

Hum... you're right.

So for the record, here are some examples. Admittedly, they could (should?)
be inlined by hand. But as long as they're not, disabling inline might have
bad effects on size.

miscutils/rx.c:

static inline void write_byte(int fd, char cc) {
	write(fd, &cc, 1);
}

static inline void write_flush(int fd) {
	tcdrain(fd);
}

static inline void read_flush(int fd) {
	tcflush(fd, TCIFLUSH);
}

editors/vi.c:

static inline void window_size_get(int fd)
{
	get_terminal_width_height(fd, &columns, &rows);
}

Aurel