busybox vi doesn't use ncurses?

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Jun 13 22:30:17 PDT 2006

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 10:03:36PM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
> > so the hex editor must keep track of changes in memory (in
> > some sort of incremental/patch type structure) and demand-load or mmap
> > regions of the file on disk for editing.
>
> You have a knack for getting deeply worked up over purely theoretical issues.

And other people on this list have a knack for conveniently
reclassifying real world issues as purely theoretical when they don't
want to deal with them. :) I do it too of course.

In fairness, the example my friend was working on was trying to repair
a huge avi file that had been corrupted by insertion or deletion of
bytes. Existing hex editors weren't even able to load the file.

> Do you work in academia?

Yes. :)

> Then write your own, and stop bothering me about it.  For some reason, I find
> your attitude highly annoying when I'm tired.  I probably shouldn't, but I
> do.

I wasn't telling you what to do. I was just commenting that there are
no good hex editors out there except maybe ancient DOS ones, and
pointing out a few of the common reasons for why the existing ones are
so bad. I'm sorry you read so much more into my comments but honestly
they were not meant as a demand for you to write a hex editor meeting
my specifications.

Rich