Firefox on Busybox

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Jun 13 14:48:52 PDT 2006

On Tuesday 13 June 2006 5:33 pm, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 03:26:08PM +0200, Christian Leber wrote:
> > 5.) when you run something as big as X and firefox you don't have to
> > bother with busybox in the first place, it's microoptimization.
>
> Umm, last I checked the GNU utils to replace busybox are on the same
> order of size as firefox. The space difference is thus nontrivial, and
> I suspect it's between 15 and 40 percent, especially if you take
> measures to ensure that your X and firefox builds are nonbloated too.

The new x.org code is based on what used to be called tinyx.  Notice who was
the driving force behind tinyx back before the x.org/xfree86 split:

http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS9635690404.html

As for FireFox itself: Mozilla was too big so Galeon forked off of it.  Then
Mozilla rebased itself on Galeon.  Then Galeon was still too big so FireFox
forked off of _that_.  (And the Mozilla foundation once again rebased to
FireFox...)

It's not exactly svelte, but it's not the pig Mozilla was, either.

I'm still more interested in Konqueror Embedded, but that's personal
preference... :)