reduce the size of busybox

Bernhard Fischer rep.nop at aon.at
Mon Jun 12 11:58:37 PDT 2006

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 06:36:29PM +0200, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 10:17:11AM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:

>>Hopefully _this_ is going to merge strings. :)
>
>I doubt that.

Just to reiterate:
The problem is that you currently cannot do automatic substring merging.
Our "normal" strings are properly merged, while these two examples are
simply not equal:

"foo"
"foo\nbar"

So we end up with both strings, each with it's full length.
They _are_ in .rodata.str (depending on where they are used of course).

That's why it helps if we say
sub="foo%s"
foo = sub, ""
foobar = sub,"\nbar"
because there we can obviously reuse 'sub', so save the dups.