init getty problem

jackie dujinhui at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 23:46:14 PDT 2006

hi: all

I am new here. I am trying to build linux in one floppy using Redhat 9.0 and
Bochs 2.2. Busybox 1.1.3 is my choice for the cmd utilities. I use init,
getty, login and shell in Busybox. There are some problems.
After the system boots i see the login symbol and enter root then the
password but it displays Login incorrect and some other information like
this:

mylinux login: root
Password:
Login incorrect
mylinux login:
Login timed out after 60 seconds.
mylinux login:

If i enter root but not the password then it will display "Login timed out
after 60 seconds." only in ONE or TWO seconds.

I just copy /etc/passwd /etc/shadow /etc/shadow- /etc/group in Redhat 9 to
the floppy linux's file system .

I modify the source code of Busybox and print the password before
correct_password in login_main.

It displays as this:

pw_name UNKNOWN
pw_passwd !
pw_uid 0
pw_gid 0
pw_gecos (null)
pw_dir (null)
pw_shell (null)

And the file /etc/inittab is:

#id:2:initdefault:
::sysinit:/etc/rc
tty1::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
tty2::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
tty3::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3

If i don't use getty and invoke /bin/bash directly then it works.

Do i lose somthing or have some file configured badly?

I have "google"ed  for a long time but get nothing valuable.

Btw will tinylogin work ? Are Tinylogin utilities contained in Busybox? I
see Tinylogin updates nothing after 2003.

Some tutorial for how to use Busybox's init and getty to login linux system
will be best.

Any information or links will be great help.

THKS