init will not execute inittab lines that start with null::

Thompson Harmon [US], Stanley W. Stanley.Harmon at sperry.ngc.com
Fri Jul 28 11:29:50 UTC 2006

> Hi Tompson,
>
> >    I have having a problem with the busybox init
> application.  My system
> > boots and runs.  However, the / file system remains
> read-only.  After a
> > little digging, I discovered that the inittab contains the
> following lines:
> >
> > null::sysinit:/bin/mount -o remount,rw /
>
> Hmmm. Mine looks like that too. Do you have the /dev/null file on your
> filesystem?
>
> --
> Dave Hylands
> Vancouver, BC, Canada
> http://www.DaveHylands.com/

Dave,

   The /dev/null file does exist in my filesystem.  I have even tried to
move the null::sysinit:... lines to a file called
/etc/init.d/S01inittab.  The file did execute; but, the / filesystem
remained read-only.  My current thought is this must be a simple
configuration error somewhere.

Thanks,
Stan