Removing dependency to libgcc_s.so

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Jul 26 01:32:42 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 25 July 2006 9:04 pm, David Daney wrote:
> Something like this should do it:
>
> gcc -o hello-world -static-libgcc hello-world.c

Alas, busybox doesn't build the obvious way.  Our makefile is a strange,
intricate contraption that calls $(CROSS_COMPILE)ld directly, and
neither --static-libgcc nor -static-libgcc are options recognized by that
sucker.  (collect2 yes, ld no.)

> As far as I know, the  -static-libgcc is only needed on mips[el]-linux
>
> Most other platforms (ie i386-linux) should not need the -static-libgcc
> as the linker is only broken on mips.

Depends on how your toolchain got built.  If you have a shared libgcc_s.so
there's always the danger that the stupid compiler will try to use it.