Removing dependency to libgcc_s.so

Michael Hunold hunold at linuxtv.org
Mon Jul 24 10:18:06 UTC 2006

Hello David,

on 21.07.2006 17:26 David Daney said the following:
> The proper way to fix this is to fix the toolchain.  The implementation
> of the functions in libgcc are tightly coupled with the compiler and
> should be left where they belong (in libgcc).
>
> All you are doing is papering over a bug in ld.  Best to fix it there. I
> would refer you to this e-mail thread which discusses the problem a bit:
>
> http://www.uclibc.org/lists/uclibc/2006-June/015630.html

Hm. The discussion thread is about an application that is unnecessarily
linked to libgcc due to a presumed toolchain bug.

I don't claim that this is the case for busybox, 64bit arithmetic is
definately used there, so the linkage to libgcc is needed.

So it is more about getting rid of libgcc, even though it is needed. As
suggested, this can either be done by directly replacing the functions
(ie. __divdi3) or by providing substitutes (ie. div64()).

> David Daney

Best regards
Michael.