Patch for BusyBox httpd

Richard Braun rbraun at proformatique.com
Tue Jul 11 12:14:33 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 02:00:07PM +0200, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> I believe that you should use start-stop-daemon -m /var/run/httpd.pid -x
> ..... to create pidfiles. To me, it doesn't make sense to equip the
> individual daemons with redundant functionality (introducing
> x{read,write}_pidfile and using that also sounds like a bad idea to me).

The problem with start-stop-daemon is that it relies on the daemon to
create its PID file. When the daemon doesn't, it usually provides an
option to force running in the foreground, so that you can use
start-stop-daemon with --background and --make-pidfile. The problem with
busybox httpd is that it doesn't provide such an option. So when
using start-stop-daemon, you never get the right PID, only the PID of
the parent httpd process, before daemon() is called...

--
Richard Braun