dmesg has no output

Ming-Ching Tiew mingching.tiew at redtone.com
Fri Jul 7 10:54:58 UTC 2006

I am wondering what I am doing wrong on my system.

I testing with busybox-1.0, busybox-1.2.0 (patched),  uclibc 0.9.28,
and kernel 2.6.16, 2.6.17-2. Basically my problem is that I get no
output from dmesg.

         # dmesg
         # echo $?
          0

'cat /proc/kmsg' also shows nothing. I am ***NOT*** saying
this is a busybox problem but perhaps someone in this list has
a pointer what are the things I could look at to solve it.

My areas of suspicion :

1. My kernel CONFIGs. Is there anything I have to set there
    to get 'dmesg' working ?

2. My device files. Is there anything particular device files
    I need to have ?

3. Busybox CONFIGs. Is there anything there I have to watch out for ?

Thanks for your help in advance.