Question about ifupdown.c and udhcpc

Dave Hylands dhylands at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 04:36:22 UTC 2006

Hi,

I've been looking into a problem where udhcpc sometimes hangs around
and sometimes goes away. I think I've narrowed the behaviour down to
this:

1 - If I bring the ethernet adapter up and no cable is plugged in,
then udhcpc quits after a few seconds.

2 - If I bring the ethernet adapter up and the cable is plugged in,
then udhcpc hangs around, even across multiple cable
removal/insertions.

I looked at the networking/ifupdown.c and saw this:

    if (execable("/sbin/udhcpc")) {
        return( execute("udhcpc -n -p /var/run/udhcpc.%iface%.pid -i "

in the dhcp_up routine. The -n option tells udhcpc to quit if it can't
get a lease, which would be the case if the cable isn't plugged in.

So my question is: is this the expected behaviour? Do I have something
else misconfigured?

Should cable insertion/removals have any impact on udhcp?

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada