Problem with dynamically linked BB

Marc Bodmer marc.bodmer at securiton.ch
Thu Jul 27 03:40:33 PDT 2006

Hello

I have the following problem with busybox-1.2.0 on an mpc8xx (ppc)
target:

When I choose not to statically link BB (CONFIG_STATIC=n):

- The kernel (2.4.4) starts up but as soon as /sbin/init is called the
system hangs.

- There is no output from BB, the last output from the kernel is:
  Freeing unused kernel momory: 40k init

When I statically link BB (CONFIG_STATIC=y):

- The kernel starts up and calls /sbin/init:

  Freeing unused kernel memory: 40k init

- Init executes /etc/inittab (content: /dev/ttyS0::askfirst:-/bin/sh )

- I get the prompt:

  init started: BusyBox v1.2.0 (2006.07.27-10:17+0000) multi-call
  Please press Enter to activate this console.

- When I press Enter the shell seems to be started, but terminated
  immedeately:

  BusyBox v1.2.0 (2006.07.27-10:17+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
  Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

  Please press Enter to activate this console.

I tried to call a rc.sh from /etc/inittab (statically linked BB)
and start a dynamically linked binary which was built with the
same toolchain like BB.
This works, so probably the toolchain seems to be OK.

Can somebody please point me to where I should search the problem?
I have no clue where to start debugging. Actually I would like to
have a dynamically linked BB.

regards
Marc

This e-mail is confidential and may contain privileged information.
It is intended only for the addressees. If you have received this
e-mail in error, kindly notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail
and delete the message from your system.