Removing dependency to libgcc_s.so

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Jul 25 17:59:05 PDT 2006

On Monday 24 July 2006 2:42 pm, David Daney wrote:
> > I'm confused now. Is 64bit division now part of libgcc_s.so or is gcc
> > supposed to statically link in the stuff from libgcc.a even though the
> > application is dynamically linked?
> >

> This is how it works.  The 64 bit division support is statically linked
> from libgcc.a

On 32 bit systems.

And last I checked (which was a very long time ago) they had a truly _crappy_
implementation of it in said library, so you pretty much wanted to avoid it
anyway.

However on 64 bit systems, 64 bit integer division should be a sane thing to
do.

> I'm quite confident that -static-libgcc will be the best solution short
> of fixing the linker.

I just added it and the linker barfed, with the gcc 4.0 in Ubuntu 6.06.  Quite
possible I did it wrong...