about the 2.6.17 kernel

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Jul 16 10:42:09 PDT 2006

On Sunday 16 July 2006 2:55 am, 孟钢Mark wrote:
> Hello,all:
>     There something new about the 2.6.17 kernel hang wiht busybox-1.00.
>     Using the NFS,if in the /nfsroot/dev, mknod console c 5 1,then ,the
> error message will be:
>
> VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem).
> Freeing init memory: 92K

That's not an error message, that says it got to the point where it's about to
spawn init, but then didn't output anything else beyond that.  Read the FAQ
and try to get a hello world init to run.

http://busybox.net/FAQ.html#init

>     But if the device number is changed for example mknod console c 5
> 0,then the message will be:
>
> VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem).
> Freeing init memory: 92K
> Warning: unable to open an initial console.
>
>    Could anybody tell me how to deal with it?

These are messages from the kernel, not from BusyBox. In the 2.6.17 kernel
source, init/main.c, it's line 707.