should all BB code be GPL?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Jul 12 09:12:37 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 12 July 2006 11:11 am, ldoolitt at recycle.lbl.gov wrote:
> > ok, then, so i can fire up a script and replace all other licensing
> > crap in BB source files with that one-line boilerplate, then?
>
> While that may be legal, it is immoral to not communicate the
> original intent of the author.  Such an action smells of historical
> revisionism.

If it's not GPL code, I don't want it in BusyBox.

> How about adding the following boilerplate to the source files
> that are not purely GPL:
>   /* The above license has been reviewed, and is compatible with the GPL.
>    * The GPL is the only license which applies to a Busybox binary.
>    */

You may have noticed I have a drive to simplify.  It comes out in strange ways
sometimes, and this is one of them.  If necessary, I'll rewrite the relevant
sections of code one file at a time until we _do_ have something that's GPL.
(In fact, you may have noticed I've been doing this for a long time now...)

I doubt we have anything in the tree that can't be improved.  We do have stuff
in the tree that I don't know how to improve (which just means it's the best
_I_ can do, not that there isn't better), and we have stuff in the tree that
there's disagreement on what counts as improvement (me and Denis disagreeing
on itoa() for example).  The question is what's worth spending time on now
and what can wait.