Patch for BusyBox httpd

Richard Braun rbraun at proformatique.com
Tue Jul 11 12:19:12 PDT 2006

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 07:26:21PM +0200, Giuseppe Ciotta wrote:
> I don't see why it's not logic to have a -fg option, a lot of daemons
> actually have options to run in foreground (apache, proftpd, sshd
> among others...), this gives the opportunity to easily monitor the
> daemon from within shell scripts, like
>
> while true; do daemon ; snmpset daemon.died.variable ; done
>
> instead of polling a pidfile and sending baroque vintage signals to
> processes to see if they're alive.

Read again please. I said it's not logic to have a daemon started
with an option to force it to run in the foreground when
start-stop-daemon, used with the --background and --make-pidfile
options, will actually run this daemon in the background... In
addition, I also said the best implementation includes an option
to run in the foreground. But running in the foreground is mainly
used for debugging, or for the use-case you gave.

--
Richard Braun
Proformatique - 67 rue Voltaire - 92800 Puteaux