HotSwap busybox applet

Roberto A. Foglietta me at roberto.foglietta.name
Mon Jan 16 14:09:50 UTC 2006

Rushi Lala ha scritto:
> Does any one help me with hot swapping the busybox applet on busybox
> running system. I have  systems with 1.01 and 1.10-pre1 which i want
> to upgrade with 1.10 applet on fly ? any idea how can i do this?

  If you are enought ram and a tmpfs (or a writable partition) do this
(i tested this):

  mkdir -p /mnt/loop
  cat /dev/hdxN > /tmp/root.img
  mount -o loop -t ext2 /tmp/root.img /mnt/loop
  cp -f /path/busybox.new /bin/busybox
  umount /mnt/loop
  mount -o remount,ro /
  cat /tmp/root.img >/dev/hdxN
  reboot

  or peraphs (but I did not tested this below), very simple:

  cp -f  /path/busybox.new /bin/busybox

  but running init will be the same of previous version until reboot

  About the first method I tested always with success, but type or
reporting mistakes could happened so... use my suggestion  at your own
risk!

  Cheers,
--
Roberto A. Foglietta