Help entry for makedevs?

Eric Spakman E.Spakman at inter.nl.net
Fri Jan 13 13:01:59 UTC 2006

Rob,

The "leaf" taste of makedevs is especially for the LEAF project
(http://leaf.sourceforge.net/) where this applet is used to create
devices. A long time ago someone came up with an other implementation,
which uses a "table" to do the same thing. To not break all existing LEAF
branches Erik implemented both in the applet.

Something else, I quickly tested the busybox-1.1.0 release and hitted two
bugs:
One with chmod, where "chmod -R 660 *" in the /dev directory gives tons of
warnings about "following links" on the next entry:
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      13 Jan 13 12:39  fd -> /proc/self/fd

Reverting "Bug 310: be consistent about stat/lstat and chown/lchown to
avoid accidentally modifying permissions or ownership when twiddling
symlinks."
makes it work again.

An other bug with "mount -a":
Doing a mount -a with the next (and only) line in /etc/fstab (no mtab
support)
proc  /proc  proc noauto 0 0
Gives the following error:
mount: Mounting (null) on (null) failed: Success

Eric Spakman