[RFC] CodingStyle Question

Devin Bayer devin at freeshell.org
Thu Feb 23 18:49:11 UTC 2006

Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 09:53:19AM -0800, Devin Bayer wrote:
>
>>What is the policy regarding using C99 in busybox?  It's been a
>>standard for 7 years now and GCC supports most of the good stuff.  I
>>see some parts of it used throughout the source, but some aspects
>>also seem to be completely ignored.  Could we come to a consensus
>>which of the following are allowed?
>>
>>// comments
>
> I, personally, dislike those, fwiw.

May I ask why?  Personally, whatever vim makes blue is good for me - I don't
look at the delimiters.  But // delimiters require less typing.

>>Declarations following code within a function
>
> Is this benefical compared to just using a different scope?

Do you mean inserting useless braces just to declare more variables?  Of course,
because there are no useless braces.  It's very useful with flexible-length
arrays since you may need to perform some calculations or test some arguments
before knowing the size of the array.

> Depending on the context, the latter may produce even smaller code..

It's only a visual difference.

--
Devin Bayer