udhcp missing prototypes

David Daney ddaney at avtrex.com
Wed Apr 19 22:02:23 UTC 2006

Rob Landley wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 April 2006 1:50 pm, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>
>>On Monday 17 April 2006 23:18, Rob Landley wrote:
>>
>>>I'm removing that entire subdirectory.
>>
>>here's a better idea, leave it alone
>

> I was doing so, until another project got nailed to the side of busybox.
>

>>we get it, you dont like udhcp
>

> I think udhcp is fine as a separate project.  But either it's a separate
> project, or it's a part of busybox.  There is no middle ground.
>

>>let other people field the questions then, all you're doing is adding noise
>>at this point
>

> I am not cutting a release that has an external project glued to the busybox
> svn repository.  Period.  Ever.  There will not _be_ another -devel release
> before I remove that, and if absolutely necessary I will manually rm -rf that
> directory from the copy I tar up.
>
> I objected when the symlink was put in, apparently not strongly enough.  If
> I'd had a little more warning, I would have cleaned up the udhcp code use
> getopt_ulflags() and all the other libbb stuff, but right now I can't do so.
> Not because it would break building it outside of the tree (which isn't my
> problem), but because I'd have to rm -rf my svn repository and re-check it
> out in order to have access to that directory at all again.
>
> This has not been a high priority for me since the next release isn't slated
> until June, and if necessary I can just delete the sucker.  (I'd rather not
> do that though, since that would be a functional regression.)
>
> But the current udhcp code was doomed from the moment you deleted busybox's
> copy of it.  When you deleted busybox's copy, it ceased to be part of
> busybox.  Splicing in an external tree is irrelevant: that doesn't ship.

Speaking as a user of busybox (although I have contributed in the past),
I want/need udhcpc to be part of busybox.

I have not really been following the issue, so perhaps I misunderstand,
but it sounds like Rob is suggesting that future versions of busybox may
not have the option of configuring with udhcpc.  Is that correct?  If so
I am not at all happy about it.  If not, I apologize for then noise.

David Daney