simplifying the networking/Config.in WRT "ip"

Jason Schoon floydpink at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 20:47:44 UTC 2006

On 4/14/06, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Apr 2006, Jason Schoon wrote:
>
> > >  config CONFIG_IPTUNNEL
> > >          bool
> > >          default y
> > >          depends on CONFIG_FEATURE_IP_SHORT_FORMS && CONFIG_FEATURE_IP_TUNNEL
> > >
> > > I am wondering at this point if it is worth all of the trouble.
> > > Should we just enable the short forms automatically, and remove
> > > all of this config menu clutter, for the few bytes that it saves?
> > > However, given the goal of Busybox to be as potentially small as
> > > possible, and the fact that I don't use the short versions, I
> > > would lean toward making the above changes.
> >
> > Doh.  Now that I think about it, that really didn't accomplish what
> > I was thinking either.  What I really want it to remove the last 4
> > items from the menu entirely, and just have their values
> > automatically be on or off based on short forms, and the selected
> > subcommands for IP.
>
> they will be, since you didn't supply a prompt string for the "bool"
> directive.  no problem, the above is correct.
>
> rday

Ah yes, thanks for pointing that out.

Not sure on the ifupdown question, as again, I don't use it.  "ip
link" serves all of my needs.   I'm wondering if the ifupdown can just
become essentially a link to "ip link", or if the command line is too
much work to manipulate.

Anyone using ifupdown care to comment?