[SOLVED] problem with tar and "--exclude" option

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Apr 14 19:41:14 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 12 April 2006 4:52 pm, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> forgive me for being a bit snippy at the moment but, having pored over
> the code in BB pretty thoroughly for the last week or so, the only
> idea that occurs to me at the moment is to toss all of it and start
> from scratch, with at least a *few* basic coding standards in place.
>
> i realize that's totally unrealistic so i'm going to pack it in for
> the day and go home and drink heavily until the feeling passes.

Welcome to busybox development!

What you have to do is take it one applet at a time.  Grab something, stake it
out, clean it up, and then defend it from getting messy again.  The archiver
stuff is a subsystem with shared infrastructure, which is in theory there for
a reason (shared code is less code) but in practice makes it hard to touch
any of that directory without touching all of it.

It needs some untangling...