Comment on docs/lesser.txt

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Apr 14 01:49:40 UTC 2006

If this was docs/lgpl.txt I'd update
archival/libunarchive/decompress_bunzip2.c to point to it, but it isn't.

Instead, this is the "oh no, don't use this license!" version.  As far as I
can tell, the only difference between LGPL 2.0 and 2.1 was renaming it
"lesser" and prepending a big religious text about how you should never
license anything under this license because the full GPL is so much more
matching of the RMS vision, all hail Stallman.  (Because obviously, we can't
be expected to make up our own minds about this sort of thing.)

Is there any actual difference in the legal parts between 2.0 or 2.1, or is it
just the propoganda bits?  If not, I'd much rather stick with 2.0...

Also, having bits of libbb under the LGPL is probably a bad thing.  That
library is not LGPL.  It is, in its entirety, GPL.  We are not intending it
to be a service to non-busybox programs, it's an internal component of
busybox, it does not have a stable documented API, and I _really_ don't want
to muddy the waters on that one.  I put the bunzip2 code I wrote under LGPL
because I'd like it to replace the mainstream implementation, and that means
putting it in general-purpose libraries.  This is not the case for libbb.