Small todo items?

Bernhard Fischer rep.nop at aon.at
Wed Apr 12 16:03:20 UTC 2006

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 04:20:42PM +0100, Rob Sullivan wrote:
>Looking at the todo list, it seems most of the items there are pretty hefty:
>
>bzip2
>  Compression-side support.
>---
>init
>  General cleanup.
>---
>ar
>  Write support?
>---
>mdev
>  Micro-udev.
>
>and so on.
>I'm sure there are plenty of smaller todo items that could be done so
>quickly that they're not worth putting on the list - thus my question
>is, what are they? This is sort of a call for suggestions for small
>improvements, which if added would make code cleaner or people's lives
>easier. It'd be nice to know what people need in terms of small
>adjustments along with large changes.
>So, any suggestions? So far, I've got a few:
>- xargs -i
>- clean up fuser
>- text buffer handling (this is in the main todo list)

- http://busybox.net/lists/busybox/2006-April/020328.html
  Should be trivial
- networking/* cleanup (review and test thoroughly the ipv6 patch for
  the FTP stuff from the bug database and add IPv6 support were it makes
  sense).
- There is something wrong with bbconfig, not sure how to reliably
  reproduce this:
In file included from
miscutils/bbconfig.c:5:
include/bbconfigopts.h:28:1: warning: backslash-newline at end of file
include/bbconfigopts.h:28:1: missing terminating " character
include/bbconfigopts.h:1:1: unterminated #ifndef
miscutils/bbconfig.c:7: error: syntax error before "int"
make[1]: *** [miscutils/bbconfig.o] Error 1

and the usual stuff like
- weed through the bugs in http://busybox.net/bugs/view_all_bug_page.php
- convert applets from getopt() to bb_getopt_ulflags()
- cleanup the bloat in e.g. ipcrm any others ¹)
- ask Garret (uClibc++, it seems) if he did already cleanup nonsense
  like the battery-checks in e2fsck.c (!) and if not, ask him if he
  minds if you do.
- libbb.h has "//" annotations for TODOs.
- update start-stop-daemon to support --verbose (ignored), --oknodo,
  --retry (shouldn't be too hard).
- convince diff.c that it shouldn't grow when you make "int context,
  status;" static as it should be (and shrink diff if you see a
  possibility)

and so on

¹) gem from ipcrm:
bb_show_usage(); error++; return error;