svn 14760 (new diff applet)

Glenn L. McGrath bug1 at ihug.co.nz
Mon Apr 10 07:46:15 UTC 2006

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 21:35:45 -0500
Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> On Thursday 06 April 2006 5:22 pm, Todd C. Miller wrote:
>
> > You can GPL it but you can't just remove the existing license/copyright
> > notice.
>
> If we can't remove the existing license, then we can't GPL it.  The GPL says
> it must be under exactly those terms, with nothing added and nothing removed.
>
> Are you saying we can't produce a derived work that is _not_ under the BSD
> license?  Therefore we cannot enforce the terms of the GPL on our derived
> work (I.E. get source code to derived versions), because even our derived
> version must be licensed BSD, no matter what changes we've made?

The file is dual licenced under both the GPL and the BSD licence, the
restrictions the BSD license places on the usage is a subset of the
restrictions the GPL places on it.

If the file is used under the terms of the GPL then it is also be
being used under the terms of the BSD license (because anything you can
do under the GPL you can do under the BSD), so everything is fine.

If someone tries to use the file in a way that is acceptable to the BSD
license, but not to the GPL license then the file cannot be used
without removing the GPL'ed parts.

So both license have to be mentioned, but usage is resricted by the
most restrictive license (the GPL) and the extra freedoms granted by
the BSD license are lost.

Glenn