Busybox hangs at init....

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Apr 4 19:32:00 UTC 2006

On Monday 03 April 2006 6:27 pm, yan seiner wrote:
> I've got a somewhat general help Q....
>
> I am running BusyBox v1.1.1-pre0.

You mean 1.1.0-pre0?

There was a 1.1.1-rc1 and -rc2 before 1.1.1 went out, but those were up for
about twelve hours before the 1.1.1 release.

> I can successfully run it when compiled with a cross-tool chain that
> uses the hardware FPE, but I am trying to recompile everything for
> soft-float...  Now this should have nothing to do with Busybox, except....

I was just about to say that. :)

> I've compiled the new toolchain, and everything seems OK.  The toolchain
> passes all of the tests.  I can compile the kernel, busybox, etc.
>
> I've built the new rootfs, installed of my necessary libs and binaries,
> and I am trying to boot buysbox.
>
> The kernel is loaded and boots, then starts up init.
>
> Unfortunately at that point the system stops:
>
> VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem).
> Mounted devfs on /dev
> Freeing init memory: 80K
> init started:  BusyBox v1.1.1-pre0 (2006.03.23-17:44+0000) multi-call
> binary
>
> I can ping the system, so the kernel is still running, but the system is
> otherwise unresponsive...
>
> The busybox init process just hangs.

A) What platform?

B) Can you get a "hello world" to run as an init program with your toolchain.

C) What's your console?

> I know it has to be something with the toolchain or perhaps a permission
> or config issue on the new rootfs, but how do I test that?  Is there any
> way to enable very verbose init so I can figure out where it is hanging?

You can try booting with either init=/bin/sh or rdinit=/bin/sh if you're
running from initrd/initramfs.