svn commit: trunk/busybox: coreutils coreutils/libcoreutils include etc...

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Mon Sep 12 07:32:05 UTC 2005

On Sat Sep 10, 2005 at 05:40:44PM +0200, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
> Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> writes:
> > On Friday 09 September 2005 22:58, Rob Landley wrote:
> >> Can you honestly say this checkin is an improvement, or just marking
> >> territory?  (If the latter, please put a big warning at the top of the file
> >> that nobody else is ever to check any changes into this file.)
> >
> > P.S.  Sorry, I'm overreacting.
>
> Actually, you are not. Each of the points you addressed is valid and
> specifically, all the code I yet had the mispleasure to come in
> contact with written by Manuel is nearly unbelievably crappy,

I've worked with a lot of programmers and a great deal of code.
In the past 5 years I have worked with Manuel, I have come to
realize he is one of the best programmers I have ever worked
with.  He consistantly demonstrates good taste and careful
planning.  As such, I am anxious to see this unbelievably crappy
code of which you speak.

> it takes an extraordinate amount of time to understand what it
> is doing how in the first place.

I fail to see why your failure to understand his code, what it is
doing, and why it is written the way it is, is in any way an
inditement of Manuel's work.

> Socially and technologically, "open source" is a horrid failure
[--------rant snipped---------]

I invite you to share your opinions on the relative merits of
open source, free software, and how much everything sucks in
other forums (such as slashdot).

 -Erik