tar limited by filename length (<100 chars)

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Oct 11 02:33:04 UTC 2005

On Monday 10 October 2005 18:30, Ian W Roberts wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> The tar utility that I'm using on my Maxtor network storage resides in
> busybox_1.0-6_mipsel
> <http://ipkg.openmss.org/experimental/busybox_1.0-6_mipsel.ipk>. I find
> that it can't save into archives files with pathnames >100 chars in
> length. What to do? Is there a newer version of busybox with a tar
> utility that can handle longer filenames? I have seen an indication that
> Busybox 1.01 includes a tar bug fix (10882) but I haven't found the
> details about that bug (or fix).

http://www.busybox.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi?view=rev&rev=10882

That isn't it.

Do you have a test case for this?  (How do we reproduce it?)

Here's a list of the changes made to the development version of tar:

http://www.busybox.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/busybox/archival/tar.c?rev=11694&view=log

I'm putting together the 1.0.2 release now.  If you can point me to a fix
(either in the development CVS or just a patch somewhere), I can make sure it
gets into the next -stable release.